Sika Ltd.; Welwyn Garden City, UK
Improving the plant’s environmental, health and safety performance.
Increasing the awareness and commitment of employees to improving the safety of the working environment.
- Introduction of lean management and 5S tools in safety management
- Proactive daily EHS audits and monthly meetings with local H&S representatives
- Active involvement and independent management of first aid teams, fire warden teams and waste recycling teams
- Focused progression of near misses / incidents with defined timelines for investigations and implemented actions
- Implementation of “Safety Flashes” to create awareness and communicate success stories
- Introduction of weekly “tool box” talks specifically focused upon EHS issues
- Introduction of “Accident Investigation Team” to drive root cause analysis and action implementations
Significant improvement of safety performance was realized compared to previous year:
- Lost time accidents: from 6 in 2012 to 1 in 2013 (-83%)
- Total days lost from accidents > 1 day: from 80 in 2012 to 2 in 2013 (- 97.5%)
- 45% reduction in volume of waste disposed
- Successful accreditation in OHSAS18001
- Retained accreditation in ISO 14001 with zero non-conformances