- Analyze how watertight, energy efficient, fire-rated expansion joints are the consequence of a process in which we: Design, Detail, Specify, Bid, Erect, Manufacture, & Install in 3-D.
- Be familiar with product technologies and how to apply them.
- Why it is critical to require certified performance reports in your specifications.
- Know that your next building can be a watertight structure.
Large Wall Joints
- Any joint over 1 1/4" (30mm) don't even try to use liquid sealant
- Used for mid-structure separation to relieve stresses from structural movement caused by temperature change, wind, seismic events, dynamic, and static loading etc.
- Changes in building plane--elevations and new-to-existing
Small (sealant) Joints
- Penetrations:windows, doors, vents, HVAC, etc.
- Panel-to-Panel: Precast, Stone, Metal, etc
- Typically limited amounts of movement.
Sealing joints begins with sizing the joints in consideration of:
- the expected movement at the joint-gap
- tolerance buildup
- the movement capability of the product type to be used
- Building Leakage
- Strucutral Damage
- Sick Buildings
- Energy Waste
- Equipment Destroyed
- Tenant Aggravation
- Maintenance Cost
- Lost Revenue
- Damaged Reputations
- Wind driven rain (water blown in)
- Gravity (water runs down)
- Capillarity (water "runs" up)
- Surface-tension (water hangs on)
FIRE-RATED EXPANSION JOINTS
WHAT IF I NEED A FIRE RATING?
- Built in fire rating
- 1/2" to 6"
- Non-invasive anchoring
- Easy installation
- Blocks Sound
FIRE RATING BUILT-IN
- 2 & 3 Hour UL Listed
- Up to 4 hour by judgement
- UL 2079
- Continuity of compartmentation
- Pick resistant option
Implementing the watertight secondary seal will resist air pressure differential and it will fill the void. This type of system was used in the Empire State Building, where the summer heat loss was reduced by 38%. Precompressed foam was placed in the joint gap, and liquid silicone was applied behind the field as the secondary water tight connection for the face of the building on 6,500 windows. This increases the energy efficiency of a very old structure, and the precompressed foam provides a thermal barrier, wind/pressure resistance, and a water tightness structure.
CONTRIBUTES TO PERFORMANCE OF A WALL ASSEMBLY
Wall assembly performance testing is important to consider when selecting an expansion joint for specific design parameters.
- ASTM E-331- Water Penetration of Curtian Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- Air permeability 2-1/2 times lower than ABAA requirements: ASTM E-283-04- Rate of Air Leakage through Curtain Walls- Air Tight
- Resist Wind Loading: ASTM E-330- Strucutral Performance of Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference- Gust Loads
CRITICAL POINTS TO REDUCE FAILURES
Think, Design, Detail and Specify in 3-D
Joints are easy to seal in cross section. They will leak at changes in plane and direction.
If you don't:
- Joints will be misaligned
- There'll be gaps in your fire and waterproofing
- Your building will leak
- Your project will be a 'retrofit' before its even built
Tell everyone where you've put them:
- Joints go through the entire structure.
- Show them on all drawings types.
LEARN MORE ABOUT JOINT SEALANTS
LEARN ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS
WATCH THE WEBINAR
Note: Credit(s) cannot be earned for the above webinar as the live event has concluded. However, do reach out to the team by completing the form below we are happy to speak with you!
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Elizabeth has worked in a technical Regional Sales Management role for 15 years. Her associations RCI, CSI, ICRI are reflective of her professional interests. She is a published author appearing in various Magazines due to her expertise and is passionate about learning, teaching, sharing and collaborating technologies with like-minded professionals. Elizabeth is a single mother of two college students; her son is graduating with a Computer Engineering degree this year and her daughter is graduating with an Environmental Science degree and going into Law School in 2019. When she isn’t traveling the globe for work she loves to see the world with her children by her side. Needless to say, she has taken the road less traveled with an enthusiastic approach.