Sika Roofing and DuPont Join Forces in Sustainability
Roofing systems don’t have to be disposable. By maximizing system longevity and recycling at the end of its useful life, the Sika EcoSmart Roof provides you with a roofing option that’s good for the environment and your wallet. The EcoSmart Roof utilizes the Sarnafil® PVC membrane, Styrofoam™ Brand extruded polystyrene insulation from DuPont, and a gypsum roof board to produce one of the longest lasting, most ecologically responsible roofing systems available.
Below are some of the reasons why an EcoSmart roofing system might be the best fit for your project.
EcoSmart System Benefits:
- Proven Sarnafil membrane and Styrofoam™ Brand insulation
- Limited 50 year reuse warranty
- The warranty is transferrable
- Membrane “take back” recycle program at end of life
- Moisture resistant insulation
- Fast and easy installation
- Best for low slope applications
- Sarnafil membrane has 10% recycled content
- Good for the environment and your wallet
Resistant to Moisture
Styrofoam™ Brand Square Edge Plus Extruded Polystyrene Insulation from DuPont provides the insulating properties necessary to minimize heat flow through the roofing system. This reduces heating and cooling energy consumption, with the added benefit of being reusable when your building is re-roofed. Extruded polystyrene’s ability to resist moisture, which can occur in a roof assembly due to vapor drive and other sources, allows DuPont to provide a 50-year reuse warranty, which is transferrable, on its Square Edge Plus insulation. This means that the building owner can leave the insulation in place when the building is ready for a new roof. (*1)
The roof board is a highly mold resistant roof panel that consists of a moisture-resistant, noncombustible core of specially treated gypsum with glass mat facings. This roof board improves the fire resistance and wind uplift characteristics of the roofing system, with the added benefit of providing increased resistance to foot traffic to protect the overall roofing system and enhance its longevity.
|ECOSMART ROOF - AN ECOLOGICAL AND ECONOMICAL ROOFING SOLUTION
|Sarnafil Membrane: 10% recycled content.(*2)
|Installation: Sika will take back old vinyl membranes to be recycled into new roofing membrane products from any location in the continental U.S. (*3)
End of Life: Sika will take back old vinyl membranes to be recycled into new roofing membrane products from any location in the continental U.S. (*3)
|Styrofoam™ Brand Square Edge Plus insulation is available with a 50-year reuse warranty that is transferrable.
|A well insulated roofing system with a reflective roof membrane reduces building energy consumption for heating and cooling and reduces its carbon footprint. Sarnafil membranes meet the cool roof requirements of ENERGY STAR®, LEED®, Green Globes® and California Title 24.
|Improved Air Quality:
|When replaced with a reflective membrane, each square meter of dark colored roof could reduce CO2 emissions by up to 3 kg per year. (*4)
|Low Life Cycle Cost:
|Sika roofing systems have a proven track record of long-term performance, resulting in low life cycle costs. According to the British Board of Agrément, “All available evidence suggests that the durability of Sarnafil membranes when used in accordance with the relevant BBA Certificates should have a life in excess of 35 years.” (*5)
- Subject to the terms and conditions in the DuPont's Limited 50-Year Reuse Warranty.
- Certified by UL Environment, Inc., an Underwriter Laboratory company. S327 and G410 (5' and 10' models), Sikaplan, PVC Protection Layer and Sarnatred collectively contain an average of 10% recycled content.
- Mechanically-attached or ballasted roofs only. Subject to terms and conditions of recycling program agreement.
- Ronnen Levinson and Hashem Akbari, Heat Island Group, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, “Potential benefits of cool roofs on commercial buildings: conserving energy, saving money, and reducing emission of greenhouse gases and air pollutants.”
- British Board of Agrément Assessment Report Numbers 08/4531 and 08/4532, 2008.